In line with the announcement, the police boss has now set up a new unit tagged Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT).
Though #EndSARS protesters are still demanding that the new unit should also be scrapped, the police have gone ahead to release some major facts about SWAT.
The new information was released by police spokesperson, Frank Mba, on Wednesday, October 14.
Below are the five key facts about SWAT:
1. No personnel of the defunct SARS will be selected to be part of the new police unit
2. Operations of the new police unit will be strictly intelligence-driven
3. Members of the new team will not embark on routine patrols
4. They are also barred from indiscriminate and unlawful search of phones, laptops and other smart devices.
5. Operatives of the new police unit will also be free of any pending disciplinary matter especially those touching on misuse of firearms and abuse of human rights.
The police also released four major mandates of the new tactical team. This includes:
1. The police unit is strictly restricted to response to robbery attacks
2. Members of the new unit are also strictly to respond to scenes of weapon-related crimes
3. Rescue operations are also part of their duty
4. The last task assigned to them includes special operations involving high profile criminals